Custom Search

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Time... Tick, Tick, Tick

A teary eyed father is waving at his leaving Daughter. As she turns her back to him, the last one week he had spent with her, flashes before his eyes. The whole 1 week is over in 2 seconds. He smiles, thinking of the pleasant memories of the last week. He thinks of the long days he would have to spend now at his office, alone.
"Time has run away so fast in the last week, I bet it wouldn't be so slick in the coming days." He says to himself.

A skinny teenager is checking out his balance on an ATM machine. His dad had transferred him the money 2 days back but the amount has still not been credited to his account. The display turns up & reads 
'Ledger Balance - 7000 Rs'  
'Account Balance - 95 Rs'

He wishes the numbers to fall down from the above floor to the latter. But this doesn't seems to be happening. In the last 2 days, he has checked his balance 9 times & the amount seems to be stuck on 'Ledger balance'.  
"The time seems to have stopped" The teenager thinks.


"The only thing you should value is time. The time you have today, will not come tomorrow & the time you have tomorrow will be different than that of today."

This was one of the fav sayings of my maternal Grand-Dad. Everyone of his lectures would start with this saying. I wouldn't pretend that I was an obedient child & took that saying to my heart, rather I used to hate it!

But today, when I look back down the lane, past the last 7 years which I have spent away from my Grandparents, I recognize the wisdom of those words. In fact I am not ashamed at all to say that I would have been in a much better position, if I had taken that saying to my heart a little earlier in my life. I would prefer to hand over this one saying to my kids when I have the chance to parent them.

"Well, my dear Sweetheart. I am gonna give you only piece of Advice. Now don't think that your Father is an intelligent man & is making all this up by himself. This advice has been handed over to your father by his Grandfather. The only thing you should value is Time. Know that the time you have today is not going to return tomorrow. 

What you have today is unique. Try to enjoy it. Have memories from it that you can cherish tomorrow. It doesn't matter whether you are having a gala or you are sad. If you really live up the moment, you are going to have memories of this moment some years down the lane & you will have lots of reason to smile. If you don't you will have the same number of reasons for regret.

Wisdom comes from the realization that the present is yours. Live it to the hilt. Always remember, Fools cry thinking of the good times they had in their past. Greater Fools are looking for good times in future. The wise cherish the beautiful memories from the past & care for the future, but above all they live for the day. Because they know that the future will be a part of what they do today, & they are already in the process of making a memorable past. So value 'Time', my angel. "

I have always thought how fast do the hands of the clock seem to tick away when you are enjoying yourself, & how slowly do the numbers change when you are in a tight situation. Why is it that in the former situation, you suddenly get a glimpse of your wrist watch & gasp amazed 'Where did the time fly away?'. And how childish is of people to tap their 'Swatch', 'Rolex' & 'Omega' timepieces doubting that they have stopped somehow in the latter situation.

It's a strange thing. Isn't it?

No comments: