Custom Search

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Instrumentals & Jazz

I have always been a fan of Instrumentals. They just fascinate me. 

In my opinion Instrumentals are the purest form of music. You can listen to them both consciously or subconsciously according to your mood. They make a great choice for concentrating, since you dont have to bother about the lyrics. I first started listening to instrumentals on some of the audio cassettes of J.S Bach, bought by my uncle.

Instrumentals have that strange power of soothing your nerves which songs can never achieve. I do like my pieces more by what soothes my nerves, rather than anything else. Only if it qualifies for this, do i try to understand it subtleties. 

One of my Fav genres in Instrumentals is Jazz. I always thought that the most meledious instrument is a violin, till I heard a saxophone. For serious Jazz lovers, this might be too simple. I would recommend "John Coltrane", "Miles Davis", "Louis Armstrong" & Roy Eldrige". I can write pages & pages on Jazz, & it still wouldn't be enough. 

“The chief trouble with jazz is that there is not enough of it; some of it we have to listen to twice”
-Don Herald (US cartoonist & Humorist)

For the lesser of us mortals like me, there is always Kenny G. Lets say, he was the one who got me addicted to saxophone. I do hope you enjoy this piece by him. Its called Havana & is a great example of what is popularly known as "Smooth Jazz". If you do listen it carefully, you will be able to notice that the piece starts with only saxophone & a piano. As the song progresses, the tempo increases & so do the accompanying instruments. I would say its Heaven but that might be an injustice to God.


3 comments:

Musings... said...

Beyond beautiful! :) Mesmerizing!

PluvR said...

I dnt like instrumentals :( but i liked your post and the piece of music by Kenny G.

PluvR said...

Waiting for ur next blog...:(