Custom Search

Friday, April 13, 2007

And may there be Rain tonight...

"And may there be Rain tonight..."
The phrase is not as it is sounding right now to most of you, annoyed by the heat. Properly spoken In Irish, it means that whatever happened during the day, may it become a treasurable memory for the speaker.

It's like, you are reflecting on some moments of the day...and you realize that these moments are some of the most beautiful slices of your life, however short they may be...and the prayer escapes from your lips... "May it rain tonight!!!". They say its the final stamp of the rain, that preserves the memory for lifetime.

Well...Elaborating the meaning of the phrase or describing the beauty of Irish language is not my concern here. The moments which I lived yesterday is.

The first drizzle of the season, 6'O clock in the evening, Well I missed it. Shortly after-wards, I was out and feeling the light breeze, I cursed myself for missing it. When I reached home, I was certain that the great Lord wouldn't disappoint me and it will rain tonight. I am not putting any emphasis on my meteorological skills or on my absolute trust in God. It was just a feeling, that it will be raining tonight.

I went to a restaurant, Packed up dinner for 4 people, and collected 4 Beers on the way back. Don't get me wrong, There were 3 friends besides me. When I reached home, it had started to rain heavily, and there was no electricity.

I towelled myself dry, and then I was blinded by a flash. No it was not the power supply coming back. It was the brilliance and originality of my new born Idea. Well, for all the people who are dying to know it, the idea was to feel the rain tonight.We have a Huge terrace outside our place.

To have the beer and the dinner outside on terrace, with all the light coming from a sole candle, getting wet slowly, all the while hearing the droplets plattering by. It keeps you guessing, is it the beer or the humid breeze dashing through the tiny droplets, that's taking hold of the senses. The music of those small droplets when they hit the hard ground at terminal velocity is a soft sound "Putt", barely noticable, but if you concentrate on it, the sound has a music of its own. No wonder, they call rain as the season of romance.

We tried it, and it was truly amazing. I can't describe the feeling in words, I don't have that strong of a vocabulary. All I can say is "May there be rain tonight", so that I can do it again once more and the memory lasts forever.

P.S - For all the people who are going to try this, have some spare candles and empty mineral water bottles. Cut the bottom of the bottle, and light the candle inside it, upside down of course. It leads, air of romance, to the ambience.

No comments: