Custom Search

Thursday, December 20, 2007

A study of the Thirds...

These are some of the pictures from our visit to Dunbar. Dunbar is in the outskirts of Edinburgh. It is famous for its "National Airplane Museum" which houses one of the two remaining Concords in the world the other being displayed at Heathrow airport. Unfortunately, we could not visit the museum.

Lot of pictures were taken, In fact out of the 7 people in our group, 4 people had digital cameras. Me, Nishta and Chilam were not carrying any. I took some odd shots from Abhi's & Srini's cameras. However none of the 2 I used were Nikons, with which I am really comfortable. So I never bothered about the results much. However some of the odd pictures were pretty good. I will load them some time.

The following pictures, were shot from Srini's camera. All of them (except for the first one) are good example for 'Rule of thirds'. I had to crop most of the pictures to look like this, but I loved the results.


                                             Watch out, there's a thief about
I love this picture for no other reason other than its simple composition. I know there are lots of things wrong with this picture, but I still love the composition. In case you still haven't noticed there is a car(red & blue) on either side of the board in the background.



                                                              All alone
I love this picture for its dull back-ground element but colorful contrast. The yellow surfboard catches the eye in the picture. Also see, that most of the body of the surfer is not visible, this also helps the surfboard to retain the attention of the viewer.



                                                           Back to the shore
This picture again has striking contrast. The colorful surfboards again catch the eye. Also notice the way the two subjects are placed in the picture, both of them occupying points of intersection in the thirds layout.



                                   All the King's men and all the King's horses
This picture though not exactly correct as per the 'Thirds rule' ,follows it to quite an extent. The sharp focus on the horse and the rider makes the picture stand out. The receding wave in front of the horse makes this picture a Fav of mine.


                                                Standing on the edge
I like this picture only for one thing, for its effect. The picture gives a sense of height and hollowness. Even though, it looks like I am standing on the edge of some cliff, I am not. This picture is just near the rocky shore, and just below my feet small waves are keeping the rocks wet.



                                              Blending in the background
In this picture, I am siting on the edge of a 200 feet drop. However the elements of the picture have blended in so well together that it seems that I am sitting on flat ground. Again, including only the backside of the subject in the picture helps in reducing the depth of field.



                                                            The elements
I like this picture because it shows all the elements in one frame. The rocks, the green moss and grass, the clear sea and the endless horizion compliment each other.



                                                   The ancient mariner
This photograph is special because it follows the rule of thirds perfectly. The only flaw with this picture is the small island is visible partially in the picture, otherwise I find it absolutely perfect in every sense. The boat attracts the viewers eye without any fail.

2 comments:

Neel Arurkar said...

Impressed with your photography skills. My next job : wiki for rule of thirds!

Neel Arurkar said...

done!