Custom Search

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Running away!!!

The day before, some of my team members got confirmed; not going deeper into Company policies, it just means that they got a hike of 2-3K and a permanent employee status.

But most of them were not happy. Strangely enough they were referring to a hike of 3K as peanuts. What's even stranger is that the senior members of the team were encouraging the idiotic sentiments with comments like "Welcome to the club" & "Enjoy the peanuts".

I wonder how many months would it take for a person to eat peanuts worth 3K? I doubt if I can even eat so much of them! My dad actually told me one day that the salary which I draw, puts me automatically in the upper 20% of the Indian population on a financial scale. He also told me that a Colonel in Indian Army after working for 10 long years draws almost the same salary as I earn currently. I wonder what would my Dad say if he hears me analogize my current salary to peanuts.

Anyway my affection for peanuts is not a matter grave enough to draw out so much of concern. What bothers me is that I see the generation of India going too fast. Of course, Nobody loves to live in a slow lane. But I feel somewhere along the way, we really forgot what are we earning for? What is the actual value of money? And what are the things that really matter in Life?

Oh, I am not trying to undermine the importance of money. Rather I am trying to highlight it. The actual value of money lies in the knowledge how to spend it. To spend it for a purpose or a goal which is dear to you, and causes happiness in your heart. Without this knowledge the green crisp notes are no different than the toilet paper. (I humbly beg pardon of the RBI here, The quality of paper used in the currency is way different than that of the toilet tissues. Also just for the interest of trivia minded people, the paper used in currencies is such that it doesn't rot in water for quite a prolonged duration.)

Is having a cool look, designer clothes, expensive gadgets (half of whose functions you would never use in life, and the other half you would never have any use for), boozing like hell, being happy? I mean where else does a bachelor living alone, not supporting his family spend a amount of 25K? Or lets suppose that these guys are planning for future, and they are saving 10K a month, i.e, 1.2 lakhs per year which goes beyond a whooping steep figure of 5.9 crores on a 10% compound interest after a period of 35 years. What will you do with a sum of 6 crores at the age of 60? Beats me....I will never be able to figure out. I mean, yeah it's one of my dreams to own a red Ferrari Enzo which costs exactly 5.9 crores, but why the heck would I buy a Ferrari at the age of 60? I for one, will never understand the obsession for money, especially amongst the people who don't know what do they want to do with it.

Leaving aside the calculations, I feel trying to enjoy the current moment, the tiny seconds, the small minutes, the big minutes, the bigger hours and the gigantic years is more important than counting the greens. Come on guys, its a mile stone for you, you have got a raise. Try to figure out what the occasion is all about, besides the dumb money. You are a permanent employee of the company, you have completed a year in this firm, and also that your work is being appreciated by somebody....Does all this mean nothing?

"Money is only the means to happiness, not a promise to it."
When will we figure it out? Where are we running away to?

P.S - I don't like peanuts BTW.

5 comments:

IAM said...

Money Money Money....(a song by a band I have always loved ABBA)
Here are some words .... (Not that money is the most important thing in life..its not.. I concur with you on that)... enjoy....

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

Abs said...

well my aunt says my fellow generation are restless and i believe its rite. We all see so much money that we do not realize vot those so called peanuts might mean to ppl who do not have access to even 50% of it. I hope we all start thinking about people around us..our fellow brothers who keep the streets clean so that we can walk on clean roads, our sewage cleaners...the list goes on. We can learn so much by observing ppl around us. I hope many of my fellow GenX junta broaden their outluk. btw gud article kido :)

- shek

Anonymous said...

Really nice one dude...had read this blog sometime bck...but this time someone felt how true the below one is

'Money is only the means to happiness, not a promise to it'

Jai said...

You earn to live or do you live to earn???? This is not even a paradox..... Anyway....Was going thru articles on your blog, and felt like posting something here.....Well why is it necessary to know where to spend???
You may say that you wont be driving a ferrari at 60, but how can you be so selfish, why cant you see that you can buy happiness with that money for someone you love (EVEN AT THE AGE OF 60), for your kids or anybody....Money speaks a language of its own, and this is not to undermine the powers bestored in LOVE AFFECTION and other such things!!!!
You cant foresee what you would need money for tomorrow, so why would you say that those who are saving money are not doing a sensible thing...I dont mind someone living from hand to mouth, thats his/her choice , thats his/her life, but why point fingers on somebody who likes to save money!!!
My passion may not be spending, my passion can be EARNING....and SAVING...well whats wrong in that....WHY cant a man (or woman, P.S I am a MCP, but thats a diff story) get happiness out of looking at a BANK BALANCE....Why cant one choose to have a life where he has financial security....one can be happy when he is confident that he has money to face tough times....i know that money may not solve all the problems, but I fel it can solve quite a few problems....
Money may not be everything, but in my "OPINION" it is quite a LOT!!!
P.S = You may die and never be able to use your MONEY (if you save), but do think that Money may come in handy sometime to help you live LONGER (in case you saved that money in time)....

Musings... said...

Beautiful! I loved the way your personified peanuts and the comparison. I agree with you.

Money is important, but should not be the controlling essence in life. In terms of wanting to save, of course you should but not to the extent that you never spend on "YOURSELF".

In the end, you are worth it and you should do what your heart desires. You can leave it for the kids or some charity but it is you who should be reaping the rewards for your long term hard work.

So enjoy and don't let money stop you from doing what you want like going to India and living a pleasurable maybe a little less salaried life as opposed to an existence with lots of money but no satisfaction! ;)